I’ve written for a wide range of publications and formats over the years, and have covered subjects including transportation, Montessori education, healthcare technology, slice-of-life profiles, and more. If you’re interested in reading some of my work, click the links below.
Health for Life was a bimonthly community magazine published for many years by Piedmont Henry Medical Center in Stockbridge, GA. I worked with the hospital’s marketing department on most of their issues beginning in January 2006. The hospital staff would decide each issue’s focus and the patients or physicians who would be featured, then I interviewed everyone and wrote the articles. It was a lot of fun and I loved being able to help share so many inspiring stories! I also helped the hospital with other projects, such as annual reports and brochures promoting various services or departments.
Inside Health is a quarterly community magazine from Greenville Health System in Greenville, S.C. Most articles spotlight new technology or other advances at the hospital, or tell about patients who have benefited from those services. All of these interviews with patients, staff, or physicians are conducted by phone. And, again, I have so much fun learning new things and finding the best way to spread the word to the community. A few of the patients I’ve interviewed for Inside Health include:
- A retired Navy Captain who underwent groundbreaking surgery to treat an aneurysm
- A dad whose ventricular device keeps his heart pumping full-tilt
- A woman who finally found a surgeon willing to treat her tonsil cancer
H Magazine was a bimonthly community publication, where I worked as the editor and primary writer. Articles ranged from human interest stories about people in the county to business profiles, local eatery spotlights, and more. Click below to read a few samples:
- A cover story about Christian recording artist Casting Crowns
- A local bank’s business profile
- A feature on local day spas
I worked in the national office of the Arthritis Foundation for approximately five years, where I researched and wrote more than 70 patient education brochures and helped proofread the organization’s flagship magazine, Arthritis Today. Brochure topics included medication information, details about various types of arthritis and related conditions, self-help strategies, and more.
- Read about Walking and Arthritis here.
Social Media Channels
Few businesses in today’s technology-oriented world try to survive without some semblance of an online presence to promote their services. A basic website is a good starting point, but many customers are culling through information on other online channels — and making decisions based on what they find.
If the thought of setting up and running blogs or social media accounts makes you feel like the proverbial deer in headlights, I can help calm your fears. I have multiple Facebook pages and Twitter accounts for my own work, and have also written blog posts, website copy, and social media updates for others. To learn more, visit my Social Media page or get a taste of my work below:
- Samples of Facebook and Twitter posts I wrote when one business was ready to change its approach to social media
- The website for Equipped for Life, a medical supply/equipment provider associated with Greenville Health System
- Novel PASTimes historical fiction blog, where I’ve been a regular contributor for several years
Press Releases and Media Kits
I’ve crafted numerous press releases over the years targeting both print and broadcast media. Whether you need to draw people to an event, promote new services or technology within your company, or share information about new personnel, I can help you tailor the message to your specific audience. Once it’s written, I can also help you decide the best media contacts to approach.
When you’re looking for something more extensive, I can help you build on a basic press release to create a media kit full of information that can help you get the coverage you desire.
- Read a few sample press releases here.
Ads and Catalogs
No matter how much technology might change, some parts of promotion have stood the test of time, even if they might change a bit: print ads (which can also translate to online ads) and catalogs. Two samples of work I’ve done in these areas include:
- A print ad campaign for Coliseum Medical Center in Macon, GA, designed to educate the public about how health system employees were involved in the community
- Sample pages from the Arthritis Foundation’s consumer publications catalog
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is a nationally-known newspaper that I wrote for over several years. My stories focused on the local education system, business developments, and interesting people in Rockdale County. Two of my favorite stories about everyday citizens focused on: